The Centre for Chinese History and Culture is a research, education, exchange, and promotion platform established under the care and guidance of the Liaison Office of the Central People’s Government in the Macao Special Administrative Region and the Macao SAR Government. It aims to strengthen the research in Chinese History and Culture, cultivate the backbone dedicated to disseminating and promoting Chinese History and Culture, construct a high-level mechanism for the exchange of Chinese History and Culture, and promote Chinese History and Culture to Macao society, especially youngsters. In addition, the Centre facilitates the dissemination and influence of Chinese History and Culture in the Portuguese-speaking countries and regions, to promote and improve cognition and understanding in Macao and the international societies.
As the only public comprehensive university in the Macao SAR of the People’s Republic of China, in addition to providing higher education at an international level, the University of Macau (UM) should also cope with the Macao society, especially the cultural identity and national cultural self-confidence of Macao youth, in the development pattern of the Greater Bay Area, highlight the location advantages and characteristics of Macao’s diversified multicultural development.
Through the Centre for Chinese History and Culture and the Macao Base for Primary & Secondary Education in Humanities & Social Sciences for which the Centre performs its duties, it integrates the humanities, social sciences, and education resources in the university to form a joint force to build an international-level Chinese History and Culture research team. With a sharper perspective, more effective methods, and more innovative measures, this could help to motivate the research in and at the same time promote Chinese History and Culture.
The Centre for Chinese History and Culture of the UM has been included in the Ministry of Education Key Research Base in Humanities and Social Sciences and will be included in the “50 Overseas Chinese Cultural Centres” of the Ministry of Culture for dissemination and promotion of Chinese culture, as well as the base for literary theory and criticism focus of the Chinese social science system.
- Engage in Chinese historical and cultural research and interdisciplinary research;
- Organize seminars and forums of the Chinese History and Culture, including international and regional academic conferences;
- Implement the “CCHC Lecture Series” and the Base for promotion of Chinese history and culture;
- Organize tours of Chinese history and culture ( for teachers and students in primary and secondary schools, as well as universities);
- Establish the Master of Arts in Chinese History and Culture, and assist in organizing various training courses for primary and secondary school teachers;
- Promote and organize Chinese historical and cultural exchange activities in Macao and other regions;
- Edit and publish the “Chinese Cultural Research Series” and “Macau Teenager Newspapers”;
- Compile and participate in the review of the supplement texts for the Chinese history teaching materials and Chinese cultural standards-compliant project reading materials.